Monday, October 24, 2022

I wake up screaming from dreaming



 "You really think you can take care of the shop, while I'm away," Shelly said to Mia as if she might be a world away, but she was next to her near the display of cozy mysteries as you entered the shop.

"Darling, don't make it sound like you'll be gone a year?" What was she getting at? Mia slightly scowled as if she needed to give her an update every fifteen minutes or so. "Stu said he'd run the snack bar."

"Snacks?" Shelly looked as if it was a terrible word.

"We had the butter board not so long ago with the wine, during our last book group, it was such a success." Mia glared back. What was on her dearie's mind? "You just have yourself a fine time by the sea and I'll make sure nothing goes wrong here."

Of course, Shelly wasn't feeling good at the time, and of course, she couldn't stand to listen to others enjoying the book, Where the Crawdads Sing, either. But they sold every last copy of the book. Wasn't that what Shelly wanted?

"You are telling everything, aren't you?" Mia looked at her blankly as if maybe something else had happened. "Is there a kiddie on the way?"

Naturally, Shelly's eyes lit as if maybe she'd seen a ghost. She scurried off to her office and slammed the door shut.

Mia didn't know which way to turn. 

"What's going on?" She tapped lightly on the door. "Do you have something to tell me?"

Mia didn't wait for an answer, she let herself in. Of course, Shelly had her back to her in her swizzle chair. Mia heard Shelly sigh.

"I know it'll be the first thing I hear once we get there. I just know it. They won't want to know me. Just as long I can give them a kiddie or two." She told Mia.

"That's expected." Mia nodded.

She turned her chair around and looked a Mia, "God, what have I got myself into."

Mia knew she didn't want to go. She wasn't one to try new things.

"Oh, there's always Kate to go back to." Mia shrugged.

"No. Never. I not giving her any more of my time!" Shelly pressed her lips tight.

Mia almost smiled. Oh, she knew how to get to Shelly.

"It'll be fine, you have your Odin to protect you." Of course, they both laughed at that.

7 comments:

  1. everything always ends well
    Xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite Shelly's prickly ways, I sympathize with her. No one likes to be pressured about having kids. It can make you feel like you don't matter at all, except as a vessel. That said, I loved this: ' "It'll be fine, you have your Odin to protect you." Of course, they both laughed at that." No matter what stress is brewing, you always bring the humor! 😁

    ReplyDelete

I love notes.