Monday, June 6, 2022

when the nights are cold



 Odin wasn't sure what Shelly wanted to hear. Yes, she was devastated. As she sat there on the floor of his apartment with her back against the loveseat that was in front of the foot of his bed. It was quite cramped here, but it really never bothered him, until now.

"I'm here for you," he said with his arm around her. She was staring at her warm milked tea, not saying much of anything.

"You'll be fine. Don't give that Kate anymore of your time."

"Yes," Shelly blurted. "But..but she always said she'd be there for me." And she crumbled into tears. It was as if she had use for no one now. Not even Odin.

"I'm not a liar. I'm here for you. You can just, you know..stay here." He looked at her ever so sadly. She heaved a sigh.

"I believe in you, you know. I have faith in you and the book shop." Even when he said it, he knew she felt as if all the world had left her.

"You really are my love you know, I want to be everything you need." What more could he say.

"It's just not possible," Her eyes shifted from him as the back of her free hand wiped away the fat tears. "Sometimes, I just wish it was all over."

"Stop thinking that way." He winced. "You don't mean it. You know your quite funny and clever too."

"Are you saying I'm daft?" She wanted to know as she drew a frown.

"No." He squinted harder. Just when he was hoping to console her, there she went building walls around her. "Stay the night, will you."

She pressed her lips tight. "Where would I go anyhow. It was never my home, now was it? I was only staying there to take care of it while Kate went on her merry way, wasn't I?"

"Oh, stop making yourself feel so low." He got up to find some crisps. If she didn't want it, he'd eat it just to keep his mouth shut.

She looked at him with the fresh bag of crisps. Of course, she took it from him before he could even open it. But she did give him the first crisp. Odin quaintly took it. Perhaps it wasn't a total waste of time of her being here. Shelly could be quite cozy. Although, one had to wait for it to happen. 


9 comments:

  1. Shelly isn't taking Kate's new romance well. It's good that she has Odin, though, and that he's patient with her. Anyway, sometimes we all need to wallow. I'm sure Shelly will be back at it again at the bookstore. I'm actually pretty interested in that, the emotional (and financial) struggle of running such a small business. Because there are few things more precious than books. :)

    Love this artsy, earthy collage. It makes me think of a college campus -- or, yes, a bookshop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Kate trust and listen her heart-beatens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Kate listen and trust her heart's beatens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope she starts to enjoy her time spent there.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uno de mis capítulos favoritos!
    Besos

    ReplyDelete

I love notes.