Monday, February 13, 2023

Same old song



 "OK, so I feel a little bad for Kate." Shelly was even-lipped after she heard the news from Mia about Kate's wedding not happening. Yet, she wasn't that sorry. "I bet it's old news." She shook her head as she paced in her little office away from the growing crowd looking for last-minute Valentines. Of course, most were just going for those cheap Valentines' cards. It was nice to have the macaroon sale, yet they weren't making that much profit. They were from the bakery where Stu worked.

Shelly hugged herself hard. "They thrive in this kind of thing."

"What?" Mia looked at her a bit lost.

"Oh, you know, Brad and Kate," Shelly fumed. "I think of how many times I thought, 'oh  I want that' but I don't."

Still, she felt she should do something for Kate. "Give her an inch and she'll take miles of my time."

"Oh, you know, she was there for you," Mia made light of it.

Shelly plopped herself down in her office chair as if she would stay put there until Odin dragged her away.

"No she wasn't," Shelly snapped. "She only needed me for the rent."

"You might be right," Mia nodded. "But she was a friend."

Shelly sighed heavily.

"We could invite her out," Mia shrugged. "A girls' night out."

"No way!" Shelly looked up at her a little bug-eyed. "Valentines is..is..well, sacred."

Mia got a good laugh. "OK, let's wait til the weekend. I wouldn't want to mess with you and Odin's sacred holiday."

"What about you and Stu?" Shelly winced.

"Um, we'll see." She sounded as if it was just another day for them. "We might cook something up."

"Oh really?" Shelly shot her a look.

"You know what it's like, we'll hit the pub and have a few drinks. All of us." Mia reminded her they could include Kate but of course, Shelly said NEVER.

"I don't want to spoil it." Shelly was a matter of fact. "They'll probably get back together eventually."

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, Shelly
    's a tough one. Then again, it's only natural to be that way when you've been burned before. Who knows, maybe she'll cave and be kind to Kate -- I just hope it doesn't go south.

    Such a cute cardie and earrings in the collage! 💜💗💜🌜🌟

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do get set in our ways. Even with friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope they all get together for the weekend - a late Galentine's celebration, perhaps?

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love notes.